GMP+ BA1 “Specific feed safety limits” and “FAQ residues of pesticides”
30 November 2017
Changes in BA1 “Specific feed safety limits” and “FAQ residues of pesticides” has been updated. The GMP+ BA1 document “Specific feed safety limits” has changed. Mainly in the field of maximum residue limits of pesticides in feed, but also an adjustment with regard to the limit for arsenic. In addition, the FAQ-list “Residue of pesticides in feed” has been updated.
GMP+ BA1 “Specific feed safety limits”
Recently, the International Expert Committee (IEC) has approved the changed GMP+ BA1 document “Specific feed safety limits”. For this update, GMP+ International worked together with the “Workgroup Pesticides”.
Because of the changed legislation with regard to pesticides in feed (the so-called “footnote 1” of Annex 1 of Regulation (EC) No. 396/2005 and the many questions received by GMP+ International about the correct application of the maximum residue limit (MRL) of pesticides in feed, it was time to change this document. In the document, chapter 3 and 4 have been adjusted as follows:
- New generic table for pesticides has been added (code C62).
- In the tables about “Pesticides which are not permitted in the EU” (in accordance with Di. 2002/32/EG) an extra footnote has been added (regarding Regulation No. 396/2005).
- Arsenic limit (code C3): footnote number 16 has been corrected.
This chapter ‘Residue levels of pesticides in feeds’ has received a full update. The most relevant changes in this chapter concern:
- Table 2 has been removed and replaced with the new so-called ‘footnote 1’ in accordance with Annex 1 of Regulation (EC) No. 396/2005.
- The terminologies have been harmonized with the legislation.
- Links to relevant information sources have been included.
- References to the FAQ list “Residue of pesticides in feed” have been include when extra clarification is required for a certain topic (for instance when the interpretation of the legislation differs between the member states in the EU
- The (legal) text of paragraph 4.2.5 ‘Fumigants’ has changed.
FAQ Residue of pesticides in feed has been update
GMP+ International has received questions from its participants about the applicable Maximum Residue Levels (MRLs) for pesticides in feed. For that reason, the questions and answers from the FAQ list have been updated. The question and answer list FAQ GMP+ D3.19 “Residue of pesticides in feed” offers assistance in establishing the MRL of pesticides in feed. The extra clarification with regard to the application of: a. the so-called ‘footnote 1 in accordance with Annex 1 of Regulation and b. the application of processing factors’ have been adjusted. In this document too, the terminology has been harmonized with the legislation and links have been included to relevant information sources.
The FAQ list also contains a handy updated decision tree that can be used as a tool to determine the MRL for a combination of pesticide and product, including single, derived and composite feed. References have been included to, for instance, the EU Pesticides database.
Should you have any questions about the above-mentioned changes, please feel free to contact our Helpdesk via the contact form.